The Tenets of Osteopathy
The following tenets were published by JAOA on 1st February 2002:
- A person is the product of dynamic interaction between body, mind, and spirit.
- An inherent property of this dynamic interaction is the capacity of the individual for the maintenance of health and recovery from disease.
- Many forces, both intrinsic and extrinsic to the person, can challenge this inherent capacity and contribute to the onset of illness.
- The musculoskeletal system significantly influences the individual’s ability to restore this inherent capacity and therefore to resist disease processes.
Principles for patient care
- The patient is the focus for healthcare.
- The patient has the primary responsibility for his or her health.
- An effective treatment program for patient care is founded on these tenets and:
- incorporates evidenced-based guidelines,
- optimizes the patient’s natural healing capacity,
- addresses the primary cause of disease, and
- emphasizes health maintenance and disease prevention.