St Albans Osteopathy Blog


You don’t need to have a GP referral to see an osteopath on ACC. Philip can help you can make a new ACC claim if you have an injury that is the result of an accident which happened within the last year. ACC contributes to the cost of osteopathic treatment of everyone, of any age, both working and not working, for all injuries that result from an accident that occurred at work, at home, playing sports or driving. The accident must involve an external force or resistance. This can include road traffic accidents, sports injuries, carrying something, lifting, pushing or pulling something, or falling and hitting something or something hitting you. ACC does not cover bending or twisting if no external force or resistance is involved, even if the injury occurred at work. ACC does not fully fund osteopathy, so a top-up payment is payable by the patient. You must start your osteopathic treatment within one year of the accident date, and can initially have up to 16 treatments within 52 weeks of your accident date. In some circumstances it may be possible to make an ACC32 application for additional treatments. If you have not seen Philip recently you will need to have a consultation so Philip can get current information to complete the application. Any additional treatments approved must be given by the osteopath who makes the application. For a standard ACC32 request, there is no application fee. Standard requests must meet the following criteria.

• it’s for an accepted ACC claim

• you are within 12 months of the injury

• this is the first additional treatment request for the claim

• it’s for the original diagnosis and listed on the standard Read Code list

 A non-standard request is a long and complicated procedure, and there is a fee of $30. Non- standard requests are often declined. If ACC declines your claim, declines your application for additional treatment, or declines to pay for treatment on an existing claim for any reason, you will then be liable to pay the difference between the ACC top-up payment and the private fee of any osteopath treatments that you have had. If you are making a new ACC claim or applying for additional treatment, you may wish to wait until you have heard from ACC before you have further treatment.

 If your injury is work related, please let your osteopath know whether your employer is an ‘accredited employer’ in the ACC Partnership Programme (these are all large companies). This means that they take responsibility for their employees’ work injury claims. If you don’t know, please ask your employer. If they are, you will need to provide your osteopath with contact details for both treatment approvals and invoicing. Accredited employers (or their insurance companies) usually allow fewer treatments than ACC does, for similar injuries. It is a Worksafe New Zealand (formerly OSH) requirement that if you have an injury at work, that you should complete an incident report at your work place.

ACC will be able to help you with travel expenses if, within 14 days of your injury, you need to travel more than 20 kilometres (one way per trip), or you travel more than 80 kilometres within any calendar month, or within any calendar month you spend more than $46 on bus, train or ferry (or, with prior approval from ACC, you spend more more than $46 within any calendar month for other transport such as taxis, hire-cars or shuttles). ACC will then pay your return fare, provided you return to where you started from. If you use a private vehicle they’ll pay 29 cents per kilometre (inclusive of GST). ACC can help pay the travel costs for someone to travel with you if you qualify for travel costs and you’re under 18 years, or your medical condition requires that you travel with an escort, or the transport provider requires you to have an escort. If you share private transport ACC will pay the private transport rate for one person only. You will need to keep your tickets or receipts and give the form to Philip to stamp and sign. To obtain an ACC250 Request for Travel Costs form call ACC on 0800 101 996 then press 4, drop into your nearest ACC office or simply Google: “ACC250”, and download it. Under New Zealand legislation an osteopath is unable to certify anyone as unable to work. Please see your GP if you need such certification for your employer, ACC or WINZ.

February 25th 2019

Philip Bayliss, St Albans Osteopathy, 43 Thames Street, Christchurch 8013 ☎️ 03 356 1353